Tuesday 19 May 2020

Eddington In The Dark

The path is long, 
such that I can't see the end. 
It makes me scared, 
but also.. giddy, excited,
thrilled.
I'm glad you're here with me. 

It's inset with a thousand dim stars
that light the way and guide my steps. 
Though for all their glow, 
they sure don't make the cyclists 
see us any clearer. 
They don't steal the beauty of the pitch
black field either. 

My favourite part is after the turn
and we come to look upon the
distant suburb itself, all glowing
in its concrete horror. 
And to the south, 
cranes shine in crimson bright. 

And I love, 
the feel of the gravel beneath my feet
the chill of cold autumn air 
a shared joke, quick and snappy. 
We're all too cold and damp and tired to chat. 

And I love, 
the wilderness to our sides 
protected for science and for joy;
the wood we can't enter 
and the pond downhill
where ducks and geese conspire 
in the water reeds. 

And I love, 
the neon rings that hang in the air 
next to the U-bus we never take
(but always want to) 
and the cyberpunk hall. 
The only things I like in this dreadful town. 

And after we trudge there, 
fill our bags with sweets and beer and
food for half a week, at a stretch,
it's time to trudge back
and I love every second of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment